Cob-blasting, Cleaning and Stain Removal
Log Home Repair and Restoration Services offers a variety of methods for cleaning your log home or removing existing finishes. It is necessary to properly clean and prepare the surface before applying any new treatment or stain.
Cleaning with light low pressure washing( under 500 PSI) is often recommended if your home needs a maintenance coat or additional coats of your current stain. However, careful consideration is needed to avoid damaging the wood fibers and/or leaking into your home. Appropriate chemical cleaners will be used to remove dirt, grime, molds and mildew. Rinsing is a must and proper drying time should always be a consideration.
Complete removal of existing stains is often necessary if the existing staining is failing or if you want a brand new look with new stains. This can be accomplished with chemical stripping or Corn Cob Blasting.
Chemical removal of the finish includes application of chemical strippers that are used to remove the existing finish. This method does require complete rinsing and neutralizing of the wood before applying a new finish.
Corn Cob Blasting is a safe, environmentally friendly method that we also use to remove existing finishes. This method safely removes existing finishes using corn cob media which is a natural, bio-degradable product.
Advantages to Corn Cob Blasting
- Stripping can be done in virtually any kind of weather or temperature
- Since water is not used, the surface can be coated with preservatives and Stains immediately
- While moderate dust can be blown into your log home through wall joints or corners, no damaging water or chemicals will be forced through the walls
- Produces a surface that is ideal for coatings to achieve excellent penetration and adhesion
- The cob media is totally bio-degradable and non-toxic
- Can be the most environmentally sound method
- Workers are not exposed to chemical hazards
- The method is safe for surrounding grass and shrubbery
- This method is often used to obtain a “brand new” look for your logs